Tuesday 22 November 2011

Learning Outcomes-Cognitive & Intellectual Skills

5. Evaluate and defend own work in the context of contemporary practice. 


I am pleased with the outcomes I have reached for this project. I feel that the images reflect the brief well. My environment in particular effectively tells the story of the Aztec-alien encounter. 


The research aspect of the project was very helpful, it was an interesting process that gave me a better insight into a different culture. It was also useful to see relevant artwork by other artists. By looking at their use of technique and style, I could transfer some of this into my own work and further develop my own painting and drawing skills.


I used a variety of different techniques to produce concepts for this project, from pencil sketches to digital painting and 3D modelling. Using a wide range of processes to produce work allowed me to experiment and reach more unexpected outcomes. Pencil sketches are quick to produce, and so were useful for initial concept sketches. Digital speed paints were very effective at quickly realising environment concepts, particularly with regards to colour, light and composition. I used 3D modelling in order to make my alien's head more convincing and understandable. A more refined painting style was used to paint the final character designs and the final environment piece. As these pieces are more detailed and defined, they feel more like finished concepts rather than working drawings.


I do feel that my artwork has improved and progressed dramatically throughout this project and I feel more confident with each image I produce.


For further development, I would like to experiment more with colour palette, especially for the environment piece, as I feel the mood and atmosphere could be heightened much more for extra drama. I would also like to produce more scenes of the interactions between the Aztecs and the aliens, to better portray the manipulating powers the aliens have over the Aztec people.


The work I have produced could fit easily into either the game or film concept art categories, although personally I feel it would be better suited to film. 


Overall, I am happy with my response to this project and feel that I have answered the brief effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment