Wednesday 30 May 2012

Visual Storytelling Learning Outcomes- AO5

5. Evaluate and defend own work in the context of contemporary practice. 




This module was extremely useful in helping me to understand how to approach my work in relation to visual storytelling. I researched many different examples of visual storytelling in contemporary practice, for example; storyboards, movie posters, teaser trailers and promotional artwork for games. Looking at the ways in which professionals approach the image making process for each of these examples was very helpful in allowing me to understand how I could approach my own versions.


For the movie posters and teasers I created, I tried to follow the more contempory 'fashion' of a limited colour palette with a highly textured, high contrast, attention-grabbing image. I also wanted to heighten the intrigue of the images by including very little text- only a title and a date. This gives the viewer a reference point by which they can link images in the same series, as well as discuss and research themselves, if their interest is engaged enough.


When I created my storyboard, I wanted to make it quite detailed and atmospheric. I researched several different methods and styles that professionals use and found that many of them are line drawings rather than paintings. However, as I paint faster than I draw and paintings have more atmosphere to them, I decided to create my storyboard with greyscale speedpainted frames. I envisaged this storyboard would be for selling an idea rather than something to be used during pipe-line production.


My key-scenes are speedpaintings created to show the atmosphere and mood for important scenes within the story. They are almost resolved versions of storyboard frames, capturing a moment of the 'film'.

No comments:

Post a Comment